History of Tarella Cottage

Tarella Cottage is a 1890’s Wentworth Falls weatherboard cottage. Tarella has a long and interesting history. It was built in 1890 by John McLaughlin after he married and had four children with Ada Amanda Moore.

A New Back Roof on Tarella Cottage

The specialist roofing team started early by stripping off the old sheets of tin and exposing the condition of all beneath. Evidence of a 1930’s fire could be seen, also possum nesting spots among the insulation.

New Skillion Roof for Tarella Cottage

At long last, we are proceeding with a new skillion roof on Tarella. In place since the 1890’s, the old back roof has many short panels of overlapping tin which have thinned and dislodged.

The Old Fire Screen Mystery at Tarella

There is a mystery around the large metal fire screen which is usually found in Tarella’s Old Kitchen.
A 1990 register of this item states that the screen is c.1930 and was owned by Beryl McLaughlin. It is part of the collection we call “McLaughlin Estate”, however there is every possibility it may have belonged to Beryl’s sister Ida Lane who had a house in Leura called “Koolewong”.

Tank Corner Update

Getting the tank away from this corner and removing debris has allowed the base of this wall to dry out well. Update from March 2nd 2021 Below- You can see […]

The Art of Water Tank Sliding at Tarella

Tarella’s old water tank has probably been in place since the cottage was built about 130 years ago. We’ll never know why it was positioned close against the wall and […]