The Blue Mountains Historical Society was established in 1946 by the Blue Mountains County Council, later moving to the historic cottage Tarella
which is now used as a museum and is open to the public several times a year. The Society is run by volunteers through a Management Committee,
and also has a modern building housing the research centre, a library and meeting rooms.
Hobby's Reach research centre and the historic cottage Tarella are two hidden treasures situated on the original road over the Blue Mountains
constructed by William Cox in 1814. They are situated in one and a half hectares of gardens and grounds.
Lieutenant Thomas Hobby constructed the straight section of road directly outside our premises and we recognise that fact
by naming the research centre Hobby's Reach.
The Society holds monthly meetings when a speaker gives a talk of historical interest.
Monthly meetings are held at Hobby's Reach on the first Saturday of each month from February to November, at 10am, when there is a guest speaker. Tea and coffee are served from 10am.
Monthly excursions to places of historical interest, in the Blue Mountains and further afield, are held on the second Monday in most months.
, published bi-monthly, keeps members advised of coming speakers and activities.
Society Publications cover Wentworth Falls, the McLaughlin Family and the Blue Mountains Historical Society.
Member Publications include a variety of titles covering the Blue Mountains and general history of Australia.
All books are sold in the Hobby's Reach Research Centre.
Tarella's highground, 905m AMSL,
overlooks the Cumberland Plain to Sydney